A cylindrical stoneware blacking jar with a flat base and fluted top.
See full details
This blacking jar was discovered during an excavation of the site of the Street homestead in Bell Block, which was burned on 26 October 1860 during the First Taranaki War. The site was excavated in June 2005 by a Geometria team led by Dr Hans-Dieter Bader. It revealed a wealth of information and artefacts which according to the archaeological report published about the excavation " highlight the exploits, achievements and living conditions of the labouring class of British emigrant, an otherwise quiet cohort in the historical record." The site of the homestead is now part of Penrod Drive.
Be the first to comment on this object record.