A glazed black basalt teapot with a finely dimpled surface which is also decorated with a repeating floral design running horizontally around the body. The teapot has been broken and then reassembled and the lid, and some other small fragments are missing. One small loose fragment accompanies the teapot.
This teapot was discovered during an excavation of the site of the Street homestead in Bell Block, which was burned on 26 October 1860 during the First Taranaki War. The site was excavated in June 2005 by a Geometria team led by Dr Hans-Dieter Bader. It revealed a wealth of information and artefacts which according to the archaeological report published about the excavation " highlight the exploits, achievements and living conditions of the labouring class of British emigrant, an otherwise quiet cohort in the historical record." The site of the homestead is now part of Penrod Drive.
Be the first to comment.