Rugby Park, New Plymouth
Two part panorama of Rugby Park, New Plymouth, circa 1950. The view shows the grounds, terraces, a covered stand on the left of the image and the memorial to James McLeod in the middle foreground. Trees are visible around the edge of the grounds in the background. An inscription beneath the photograph reads "Presented to Mr J. Cross by the New Plymouth Cycle and Athletic League in appreciation of valued services rendered to the Club over a long period. May, 1950". Land for Rugby Park was purchased in 1929 and development work was underway by 1931. Rugby Park was put to use for the first time on 12 May 1937 in a game between Tukapa and the Stratford Seniors (resulting in a draw 6-6).
See full details