Kahui Road Creamery
Kahui Road Creamery with a man pictured on a horse in front of the building. Another man is visible standing in the opening in the side of the building and there is a dog to the left side of him.
This was the first factory on the Upper Kahui Road on the same site as the present factory, built by Jacob Rothery around 1895. The creamery later became part of the Crown Dairy Company.
Crown Dairy Co. sold the Kahui Creamery along with their Oaonui Factory to the new Oaonui Dairy Cooperative in 1896. In 1908 this building was replaced with a new structure. In 1912 the Kahui Cooperative Dairy Co. was formed and bought the Creamery from the Oaonui Dairy Cooperative. The Kahui Co-operative Dairy converted the the new building to a 2 vat cheese factory which was burnt down in 1928. It was rebuilt in reinforced concrete and suffered extensive fire damage in 1949. In 1957 Kahui Dairy Cooperative merged with Cape Dairy Co-operative based at Pungarehu. The Kahui factory became a Community Hall.
See full details