The Camphouse, North Egmont, Mount Taranaki
View of The Camphouse at North Egmont, Mount Taranaki. The Camphouse is pictured in the middleground and the foreground is dominated by large tree stumps. Mount Egmont, covered in snow, is visible in the background. The Camphouse was one of several buildings purpose-built to serve as military barracks during the Taranaki Wars and was previously sited on Marsland Hill during the Wars. It is the only surviving military barracks from this period. In 1891 it was moved to North Egmont for accommodation purposes.
Be the first to comment.