At the request of Governor George Grey, Frederick Thatcher designed a Colonial Hospital for New Plymouth. The Elizabethan style hospital was opened in 1848 and predominantly served the Maori population. Originally built in Mangorei Road, the building was later purchased by Mary King, wife of Newton who moved it to the King property, now Brooklands Park.
Measured drawings of the floor plan and four elevations of the New Plymouth Colonial Hospital (The Gables) drawn by Jenny Lobb for the Taranaki Museum December 1979. Also a history of the Colonial hospital compiled by Margaret Brooker 1979.
Maker
Goddard, Jenny
Primary Maker
Jenny Goddard
Department
Archives
Production Date
December 1979

Archive Contents

  Part 1

1. Concept drawing

2. Lower and upper floor plans. Scale 1:50

3. Elevations. West and South. Scale 1:50

4. Elevations. East and North. Scale 1:50

5. Brief history of the Colonial Hospital, New Plymouth. Compiled by Margaret Brooker. 3p. 1979 and a copy of a folded leaflet on The Gables. Written by G. Lambert. c1985

Three reproductions of the measured drawings on paper.

Accession No
ARC2009-165

 Share


Can you help us? Click ‘Add Comment’ to share names, details and stories to help enrich the collection.


Be the first to comment.