2 results. Displaying results 1 - 2.
- Subject International conflicts Remove filter International conflicts
- Subject World War Two (1939-1945) Remove filter World War Two (1939-1945)
- Subject Immigration Remove filter Immigration
- Subject Family activities Remove filter Family activities
- Maker Radford, Colin Thomas Remove filter Radford, Colin Thomas
- Subject Agriculture, fishing and forestry Remove filter Agriculture, fishing and forestry
- Subject Farming Remove filter Farming
- Maker Baxter, Herbert Wilson Remove filter Baxter, Herbert Wilson
Oral history. An interview with Dorothy Radford by Colin Radford [brother] talking about life farming up the Mokau River. Created as part of research towards a thesis Rural depopulation and resettlement for an MA in Sociology, Auckland University. 1982
Written by Herbert Baxter, son of Richard Baxter, a settler on Otaroa Road, Tarata. In the form of a reminiscence, the essay describes the development of a farm in the 1890's from the selection of land to the clearing of bush. He gives a detailed description of pit sawing. This information was used by Sir James Elliott as background in his novel 'The Hundred Years' published in 1939.