filters
More Options
Shortlist
  •   Add All to Shortlist
On the 11 August 1855, the Taranaki Militia was sworn in, this remained as a force in name only until 1858 when the Taranaki Volunteer Rifle Corps was formed.
The records of colonial troops as listed in the in the collection comprises five order books, 1861-64, including regimental orders, duties and details and a regimental order book, 1865-66, with description rolls, stores, issues etc. of Number 4 (Capt. Newlands) Company, East Coast Expeditionary Force.
Three letterbooks, 1858-1881, are of outwards letters and one record book is of the Armed Constabulary and Volunteer Corps, inwards correspondence 1872-74. The records also include a diary, 1861-63, of duty allocations, leave and rations; a subscription book of the Soldiers Friend Society, 1860-67; roll and ration book, 1863-64 - with the diary of George Jupp, 1890-91, superimposed throughout; the rolls of No.1 Coy Bushrangers; No.1 Coy TRV, 1864, and No.2 Coy Waitara Contingent, 1865; the journal of the officer-in-charge (Captain Walter Morrison) of the Bell Block (Hua) Stockade, 11 July - 14 December 1860, including a day-to-day account and lists of crimes and offenders, and a detail and duty book, 1864.
Accession No
ARC2001-359

Name/Title
Part of a collection of interviews recording the history of SeniorNet in New Plymouth.
Jeanne van Gorkom interviews Esta Wilson about her connections with SeniorNet, an organisation which promotes the use of computers and runs training programmes primarily for middle aged and senior people.
Accession No
ARC2001-339

Name/Title
A collection of papers belonging to Taranaki artist, Bernard Aris which were gathered together by Anna Scanlan a friend and supporter. Anna Scanlan considered Aris was in need of proper recognition and finally, in 1972, she saw the fruition of her labours when Aris was officially recognised and presented with the Freedom of the City of New Plymouth.
The collection contains clippings, articles and documentation illustrating Bernard Aris being awarded the Freedom of the City of New Plymouth.
Accession No
ARC2001-343

A memoranda book dealing with applications made by settlers in the greater New Plymouth area to the Taranaki Provincial Council Relief Fund for supplies, passage, rations and housing during the period 1860-61. Applications for payment for development and repairs to roads are also included. The applications include the names of residents living in the area.
Accession No
ARC2001-377

The Te Henui Cemetery was established under the Public Cemetery Ordinance, January 14 1861.
A copy of the funeral register covering interments in the Te Henui Cemetery from 1861-1903. Each registered funeral records the name, age, denomination, occupation, date of burial and location of gravesite of the deceased person.
Accession No
ARC2001-374

As a result of the decision to erect a memorial to Imperial and Colonial forces who fought and died in during the Maori Wars, the Marsland Hill Memorial Committee was formed in 1906. The task set before the committee was to decide on the type, site and costing of the memorial and to set in motion a fund raising scheme to finance the plans. The monument, a statue of a man in the uniform of the Armed Constabulary, was erected in 1909.
The statute was severely damaged on Waitangi Day 1991 and removed from the park.
The papers record the official minutes, newspaper clippings and accounts related to the Marsland Hill Memorial Committee, 1906 to 1909
Accession No
ARC2001-379

The Fire and Accident Underwriters of NZ were affiliated to the Fire Underwriters Association of NZ.
The records consist of plans and diagrams depicting buildings and structures in the central business districts of New Plymouth, Hawera, Inglewood, Waitara, Stratford and Eltham. Also included are block plans showing various freezing works in Taranaki etc.
The plans were used for insurance purposes and show the footprint of each building, often naming the business or firm.
Accession No
ARC2001-383

Name/Title
The Taranaki Institute was formed in August 1862 operated a library in New Plymouth and was dissolved in May 1879.
The Minutes are in the back section of the New Plymouth Public Cemetery Trustee Minute book and include the inaugural minutes through until it was decided to wind up the institute and dispose of the books and equipment
Accession No
ARC2001-388

Name/Title
The Taranaki Club first formed in 1842, it is not known when this club ceased operating. A second attempt was made in 1861, the club lasted until 1865. A third attempt was more successful when in 1892 a new club bearing the same name was formed and remained in operation until circa 1995, when it merged with the New Plymouth Commercial Travellers Club to form Club Taranaki.
The records include a deed of agreement for the 1842 club and a minute book from Jan 1 1861 to the last entry 23 March 1865. Also club rules 1862. Includes lists of nomination of members and ballot results.
Deed. Agreement between J. C. Cooke, J. T. Wickstead, James Webster and Samuel Fishleigh for the rental of buildings to house the club, 15 August 1842.
Accession No
ARC2001-378

Established in 1917, the Tuna Co-operative Dairy Company amalgamated with the Midhirst Co-operative Dairy Company in August 1928.
The papers consist of a share register for September to December 1917 and a minute book for August 1917 to August 1928.
Accession No
ARC2001-387

William Therkleson had a lifetime interest in Maori people and their history. Born in Inglewood of Danish parents, he had a furnishing business in Wanganui and later, New Plymouth. He died aged 55 years on the 29 December 1941.
An autograph book arranged by William Frank Therkleson of New Plymouth between 1933 and 1941, additional entries entered to 1943 by Nellie M. Therkleson.
Contains signatures of Maori including iwi and hapu affliations.
Accession No
ARC2001-380

The Public Cemetery Ordinance 1861 was adopted by the Taranaki Provincial Council on 28th October 1861 and brought all burials under one authority, one set of standards and in designated areas. It set the main cemetery at Te Henui and an administrative Board of Trustees
The records include a copy of the Ordinance, printed on parchment and annotated by Charles Brown (Superintendent, Taranaki Provincial Council) and others. Also Minutes of the Trustee meetings for the period April 1862 - 1889, a record of claimants for interment within the limits of the town of New Plymouth (including St Mary's) for the period 1862 - 1863 and a report compiled in 1903 which summarises all known burials to date at the Te Henui Cemetery.
Accession No
ARC2001-386

Name/Title
In 1952-1953, Brian Scanlan produced a booklet titled An 1858 Journey Into the Interior. This consisted of a copy of the diary of S Percy Smith in which he described a journey from Taranaki to the Taupo and Rotorua Districts. The diary was published first as a serial in the Taranaki Herald and then later in booklet form.
Accession No
ARC2001-390

Name/Title
The diary is a descriptive narrative of a journey Miss Fletcher took of the Lake District in England at the end of the 18th Century.
Accession No
ARC2001-381

In 1864, James Paul opened the Egmont Brewery which operated until 1927 when it was taken over by the newly formed Taranaki Brewery Ltd. Taranaki Brewery Ltd operated until 1969 when it was taken over by Dominion Brewery Ltd.
The collection consists of minute books 1927-1971 and correspondence and papers relating to the 1969 takeover when Dominion Brewery Ltd took over Taranaki Brewery Ltd to form DB Taranaki breweries Ltd.
Accession No
ARC2001-392

In September 1908, the vestry of St Luke's Church, Bell Block, seeing that no record had been kept of the grounds, appointed Harry Pote and John Rice to investigate interments and set up a register to record future burials.
A copy of the Register of past burials compiled from information gathered by Harry Pote (clergyman's warden) and Capt John Rice (parishioner's warden) both of St Luke's Church, Bell Block. Also includes burials in the church yard from the time of compilation to 1955
Accession No
ARC2001-389

Name/Title
An invoice/receipt for fabric purchased from the Moa Farmer's Union Ltd, Inglewood. The fabric and accessories were used to make Betti Allemann's wedding dress. Betti married John Edward Nicholls at St Andrew's church, Inglewood on 27th July 1899.
Also an original photograph of Betti and John at their wedding (2004-5) and a copy photograph showing staff standing on the street in front of Moa Farmer's Union General Store (2004-6)
Accession No
ARC2001-414

A collection of certified copies of birth, death and marriage certificates and a copy of the John and Rebecca Adlam family tree as compiled by Laurie M. Ward.
Accession No
ARC2001-408

Born in Tondu, South Wales, emigrated 1904. Fred Coleman trained as a draughtsman and was employed by the Lands and Survey Dept, New Plymouth. Fred's recreational interests included local history, heraldry and the scouting movement. He died 14 June 1975.
The diaries record Fred's Coleman's daily domestic and community activities. Entries are detailed and written in a conversational style, they give insight into his involvement with scouting including designing scouting badges; his interest in local history and also the trivialities of the day - for example repairs to the house. 1943 - 1967
Accession No
ARC2001-400

Dale Copeland of Puniho, is an assemblage artist and Virtual Tart web mistress. As the former, she has exhibited extensively in New Zealand and overseas. As the latter, she manages the Virtual Tart web site which shows the work of Taranaki artists.
Taranaki born Dale Copeland was educated in New Plymouth and Auckland University and after travelling overseas took up a position of Head of Maths/Science Deptarment at Okato College. In 1987, Dale left teaching for art and motherhood. Creating assemblages, Dale recycles found, abandoned and personal treasures.
The book, titled Assemblage Art; Careful constructions of treasured objects, is an artist's signed copy No 73 of a limited edition of 100. Each volume is handcrafted in leather and flyleaves of hand made flax (harakeke) paper. All covers are unique. 80 pp, 36 b/w photos, hard cover.
Accession No
ARC2001-393

The Country Women's Institute (CWI), or Women's Institute as it was named up to 1952, was set up to provide country women with support and education. It encouraged home crafts and cultural work, such as music, drama, and arts and crafts; took an active part in rural events, such as A&P shows; provided community services, such as charitable donations, housekeeping for sick members and hospital visiting; and acted as a training ground for women in local body politics.
A collection of papers relating to the activities of the Vogeltown branch of the Country Women's Institute - (CWI).
Accession No
ARC2001-397

Name/Title
Alexander Cassie was raised on a farm in the Okato district, Taranaki. In 1911, at the age of eleven, he broke his leg and was confined to bed for approximately three months. During this time he kept a detailed journal and received letters from school friends.
On retiring from farming, Alexander Cassie rediscovered his diary and the letters and combined them to form an account of those three months. It is based on daily trivialities, boyish pranks and reminiscences as told to him by veterans of the land wars regarding the Battle of Waireka, and the Parihaka incident and the Stony River Hotel.
Accession No
ARC2001-406

The New Plymouth Central School was opened in 1884; it was an amalgamation of several small schools operating in New Plymouth at that time - Kauwau (Miss Lydia Shaw), East School (O'Connell), West School (McKee) and Gill Street School (Miss Reeve).
The records include the minute books for the Central School Committee from 1918 to 1956, the minute book and register from the 50th Jubilee committee, five examination registers which give an incomplete coverage 1942 - 1962, the Courtenay Street (Infant) School log book 1911 - 1936, two Central School (Upper School) log books 1918 - 1970 and photographs 1890 - 1972 and a folder of examination reports for West End Infants' Public School 1886-1887.
Accession No
ARC2001-404

Name/Title
A poem written by Mr S H Stokes of Truro, Cornwall to mark the sailing from Plymouth Hoe of the Plymouth Company ship Amelia Thompson.
Also a photocopy of the poem as published in History Of Taranaki by Ben Wells.
Accession No
ARC2001-419

Name/Title
Jack Wood was a local artist and signwriter with his own small business, "Wood Sign Service". He spent many hours painting advertisements on the small businesses and delivery vans around New Plymouth and Taranaki.
Scanned copy of original Letterhead from Jack Wood Sign Service.
Accession No
ARC2001-409
Loading...