filters
More Options
Shortlist
  •   Add All to Shortlist
Name/Title
Sketch of a pā site, noted as being "Kaikaraka pa". A number of buildings are ringed by pallisading, pictured from a high vantage point. Several animals are grazing in the middleground. Numerous trees, bushes and lahars are dotted across the landscape.
Accession No
PA2011.081

Sketch of Kapoaiaia Armed Constabulary camp, misspelled as "Kapueiha AC Camp" on the sketch itself. Numerous bell tents and several buildings are pictured on the right of the image. Vegetation and several lahars are visible in the middleground. Mount Taranaki (Egmont), the Pouakai Ranges and the Kaitake Ranges are pictured in the background. Mount Taranaki is visible on the right of the image, The Pouakai Ranges are pictured in the middle and the Kaitake Ranges are visible on the left. The camp was officially known as the 'Cape Egmont Armed Constabulary Camp'.
Accession No
PA2011.082

Sketch of the Kapoaiaia Armed Constabulary camp, misspelled as "Kapueiha" on the sketch itself. The camp is pictured in the centre of the image. A military post with a flag is positioned on a hill, which is now the location of the Cape Egmont Lighthouse. Bell tents and several buildings are pictured at the base of the hill. Vegetation is dotted across the landscape. The sea is visible behind. The camp was officially known as the 'Cape Egmont Armed Constabulary Camp'.
Accession No
PA2011.083

Two sketches adhered together relating to the murder of Mary Dobie on 25 November 1880. The top sketch shows the place where Dobie was killed. A road and rock-lined pathway are pictured in the foreground and who figures are visible standing on a hill in the middleground. The bottom sketch shows Tuhiata, who was tried, convicted and hanged for murdering Dobie. He is pictured with his hands crossed over his chest and a pipe in his mouth. He is wearing a grey jacket. Dobie, who was an artist, had walked to Te Namu Bay to sketch Mt Egmont/Taranaki for the 'Graphic' when she was killed by Tuhiata.
Accession No
PA2011.078

Panoramic sketch in two halves of Mount Taranaki and the Kaitaki Ranges. The Armed Constabulary camp at Cape Egmont is pictured in the middle of the panorama. The Armed Constabulary camp at Pungarehu is pictured in the middle of the right hand side of the panorama. Telegraph wires are pictured lower right and a large plume of smoke is pictured on the left of the panorama. The words "Swamp / Pungarehu Camp / Parihaka / Mt Egmont and Taranaki" are noted in pencil on the right and "Kaitaki" is written lower left of the panorama.
Accession No
PA2011.079

Sketch of a military picket, noted as being between Pukemanu [?] and Pungarehu. Sketched from a higher point looking down towards land with various lone trees and several lahars. The sea is visible in the background.
Accession No
PA2011.080

Depiction of Captain Cracroft's crest and motto. Inscription beneath the crest and motto says: "Presented to the New Plymouth Museum by R. B. Craven late of the H. M. S. Niger May 7th 1909". The Latin motto "Ne Cede Malis" translates as "yield not to misfortunes".
Accession No
A66.338

Colours of the Taranaki Rifle Volunteers. Colours have the words "Taranaki Volunteers / Waireka" in the centre. The colours were presented at a parade on Poverty Flat (now the site of Central School) on 25 June 1861.
Accession No
A66.790

Taranaki Regiment Colours "Primus in Armis", 1916-18. Presented by Governor General Viscount Galway in a ceremony at Pukekura Park, New Plymouth, on 22 March 1936.
Accession No
A66.789

The colours, or standards, of the Taranaki Militia and Volunteers. The colours feature two flags and the British Crown.
Accession No
A66.725

Name/Title
View of the Waitara Blockhouse, Hurirapa Pa at lower right middle ground with tents, people and canoes to the left, and river right foreground. Single flag flies on either side of the blockhouse.
Accession No
A65.626

View of the Waitara Blockhouse, Hurirapa Pa, at the mouth of the Waitara River. Blockhouse is to the left middleground, boat ("Tasmanian Maid") steaming up river at left middleground, and above this boat is a Maori burial ground.
Accession No
A87.259

Name/Title
View of "Camp Waitara". Maori figure standing on road in middle foreground, camp in background with flag flying.
Accession No
A87.258

Bell Block Stockade in middle ground with a solitary soldier in red uniform standing guard to the right of the main building. Mount Taranaki/Egmont and ranges are visible in the background. The painting is inscribed with the date 1858 but the Bell Block Stockade was not constructed until 1860. The painting also only depicts the Bell Block blockhouse, thus must have been painted before the stockade was constructed around the blockhouse.
Accession No
A65.902

Omata Stockade with Mt Taranaki/Egmont and Pouakai Ranges visible in the background. Built on Ngaturi Pa, Omata.
Accession No
A65.890

Volunteer Rifles going on duty, New Plymouth. View from the Gover Street/Woolcombe Terrace area and looking back over central New Plymouth to the mountain, 1860.
Accession No
A65.892

Sketched just prior to the artist's departure on the evening of Friday 3 August 1860 this painting records troops from the 40th Regiment disembarking from the sloop "H.M.S. Victoria". Amongst the other vessels off shore are the "Tasmanian Maid", the "Airedale" and the "George Henderson". Also depicted is the original St. Mary's Church and parade of Imperial Troops and Militia.
Accession No
A65.883

Name/Title
Watercolour depicting Parihaka November 1881. Brown whare middle foreground. Te Whiti o Rongomai's house - Miti mai te Arero - is on the left of the middleground. The other white European-style building on the right is the Parihaka bank. Large trees behind village. Mount Taranaki / Egmont in background. Large group of people gathered between whare in the foreground on the lower right.
Accession No
TM2000.246

Exterior view of North Egmont Camphouse, Mount Taranaki. Several figures are depicted standing in the foreground in a group and on the balcony of the Camphouse. One figure has skis over their shoulder. Snow on the ground. The Camphouse was built in Australia in 1855 and shipped to New Zealand for use as one of several military barrack buildings during the Taranaki Wars. The middle portion, pictured here, was sold to the Egmont Acclimatisation Society in 1893.
Accession No
A66.583

Name/Title
View of Willowfield House. The white timber house is surrounded to the rear by trees and has a large area of grass lawn in the foreground. The house belonged to Thomas and Grace Hirst and was built in the 1860s after their Brackenhirst house had been destroyed in the First Taranaki War.
Accession No
A81.912

View of blockhouse at Pukearuhe redoubt with figures in foreground. White Cliffs visible in the background.
Accession No
A66.621

Artistic impression of Pukearuhe redoubt and blockhouse. Figures are pictured working in the foreground. The redoubt is visible in the middleground and White Cliffs are pictured in the background.
Accession No
A66.536

Name/Title
Portrait of Major Gustavus Ferdinand von Tempsky seated in profile next to a window. von Tempsky is wearing military uniform, white gloves and holds a staff in one hand. Hills and vegetation can be seen through the window.
Accession No
A66.092

Name/Title
View of New Plymouth and Mount Taranaki from the sea. To the left of the foreground a wooden dinghy is partially sunk and to the right a body is floating in the sea. A large seagull/albatross flies above the body. In the middleground notable buildings in New Plymouth township can be seen, such as St Mary's Church, the barracks on Marsland Hill, Browns Stores and Puke Ariki pa. Two ships are visible along the shore.
Accession No
PA2008.118

View of the White Cliffs from a high vantage point. Foliage and tree stumps in foreground. Mount Taranaki pictured in the background.
Accession No
A66.573
Loading...