filters
More Options
Shortlist
  •   Add All to Shortlist
Name/Title
Eliza Hobson was the wife of Captain William Hobson, Governor of New Zealand 1841 - 1842 This is a typescript copy of letters 1835 - 1846 from Eliza and William Hobson to various recipients, not arranged chronologically. Manuscript copies held by Alexander Turnbull Library.
Accession No
ARC2001-52

Name/Title
William Halse came to Taranaki on the ship Amelia Thompson in 1841. He was appointed Justice of the Peace and in 1848 succeeded F. D. Bell as Resident Agent for the New Zealand Company in New Plymouth. He later became Commissioner of Crown Lands.
The journal is a daily account of events, correspondence and expenditure. 1846 - 1850
Accession No
ARC2001-50

Felix Templeton Bellringer was born in 1877, the son of James Templeton Bellringer, who was Mayor NP 1889-1893. Felix was educated at Central School NP and NP Boys High School and served several years as a law clerk. In 1900 he was admitted to the Bar - solicitor of the Supreme Court NZ. In 1901 he was elected temporary Town Clerk, later becoming Town Clerk and Borough Treasurer. In the former position he served for 50 years retiring in Feb 1952
The papers consist of reports and letters concerning his achievements as Town Clerk 1902-52, including his role in the acquisition and development of the following reserves and parks; Aotea Park, Henui Vicarage, West End School, Prison Reserve (Moturoa), New Plymouth Rugby Park, East End Bathing Reserve, Lake Mangamahoe Hydro scheme, Maranui Estate, Pukekura Park, Peringa Park, Kawaroa Park, Paritutu Centennial Park, Lynmouth Park, Waiwakaiho Park, Ngamotu Reserve, Pukewarangi, Burgess Park. In addition to the boxed material in the archive, there is a series of scrapbooks re Parks and Reserves.
Accession No
ARC2001-136

Name/Title
Chilman sailed to New Zealand on the ship William Bryan in 1840 as a clerk to the New Plymouth Company.
Settling at New Plymouth he was appointed Provincial Treasurer in 1853 and in 1871 went to England to obtain capital for the development of ironsands in Taranaki. He also held the posts of Provincial Auditor and Receiver of Land Revenue. He was one of the founders of the New Plymouth Institute.
The journals recount the journey to England to investigate finance for working the ironsands.1870 - 1871
Accession No
ARC2001-139

Initially known as the New Plymouth Civic Affairs Organisation, the New Plymouth Progressive Association was active in the community every three years, prior to the local body elections; their aim being to ensure the best possible candidates stood for Council and the Hospital and Harbour Boards.
The records reflect the activities of the Association prior to the 1968 local authority elections. It includes minutes, information on public meetings, newsletters and newspaper clippings.
Accession No
ARC2001-154

A record book for the Urenui Post Office, 1930-1954. The book illustrates how the postmaster managed the routine activities of his office. It includes information on which staff were key holders, and telegram, mail and parcel statistics etc.

Urenui Post Office was opened in 1867 and was operational for approximately six months. It reopened again in 1877 and operated until June 30th 1989. For further information see Postmark Taranaki by Robin Startup and Andrew McNiven, Tarapex '86.
Accession No
ARC2001-167

The New Plymouth Aero Club was established in 1928 and proceeded to develop an air field at Bell Block. In 1934, the Airport Board was formed (constituted in 1933 under the NP Airport Act) and the new body took over the Aero Club's field. The airport was used during the World War II as a Airforce training station. In 1960, the Airport Board was dissolved and replaced with a Board giving Taranaki wide representation.
The records include two minute books 1939 - 1960 and a register of persons upon whom the freedom of the airport has been conferred, including Kingsford Smith, Ulm and Felix Bellringer.
Accession No
ARC2001-204

Name/Title
On the death of Mr H Okey, Member of Parliament for Taranaki, John Connett National Party candidate for the electorate at the By-elections in 1918.
A collection of papers comprising of newspaper clippings, circulars, promotional flyers relating to general elections.
Accession No
ARC2001-283

Typed copy of manuscript. Seventy Years of Life in New Zealand. Selections from the reminiscences of Charles Edwin Major.
There are references to politics, personalities, Maori including Parihaka and various sporting activities, in particular football, athletics, and horse racing. Entertainment is also covered in the reminiscences with mention of various celebrities such as Mark Twain, Frank Bullen and Paderewski, and the development of film making and cinema in New Zealand.
Accession No
ARC2001-277

A speech written and read by Mr Skinner at a meeting of the New Plymouth Historical Society on 10 Sept. 1945, gives a brief history of the development of postal services in Taranaki. Includes lists of early Postmasters for New Plymouth and other towns in Taranaki and the names of office-holders for various government agencies between 1872-1874.
Accession No
ARC2001-332

The Taranaki Provincial Council was established in 1852 to provide the Taranaki area with local governance. The Council consisted of a superintendent and seven council members.
Charged with overseeing the building and organization of public amenities including a roading system, the Provincial Government found itself embroiled in the conflict between Maori and European Settlers.
The Provincial Government was abolished in 1876.
National Archives, Wellington, holds extensive records of the Taranaki Provincial Council.
The collection consists of inward and outward correspondence concerning evacuation of settlers from Taranaki to Nelson during 1860-63 Land War and ration lists for the same, includes some correspondence relating to the Militia. Also includes official papers relating to Taranaki roads and roading requirements and official papers relating to Taranaki hotels (1852-1877), including notices of application, licensing recognizances, petitions, reports of conditions of licensing district hotels, agreement of transfers and a list of hotel licences and licensees.
Accession No
ARC2001-430

In 1897 a committee was formed in connection with the erecting of a Town Clock. In 1899 the Borough Council decided to finance the building of a clock tower and in 1908 the tower was erected along with the New Plymouth Post Office. The Post Office and clock tower were demolished in 1969.
The collection includes a Minute Book, 1897-1898, and correspondence, 1899-1916. Also contains a photocopy of a letter sent to the New Plymouth Borough Council from the Government Architect, Wellington. 7 Apr. 1905 and copies of a circular distributed in 1968 to save the clock from demolition.
Accession No
ARC2001-496

Name/Title
Collection of proclamations and notices issued by the Military and Civil authorities during the period 1858 - 1861, plus one from 1915.
Accession No
ARC2001-540

The Waiwakaiho Roads Board (No 12 Road District, New Plymouth) administered all roads in the Albert, Kent, Alfred, Maud and Korito Road area and was responsible for development, and maintenance.
The volume contains the minutes of the Waiwakaiho Road Board (No 12 Road District, New Plymouth) costs of road maintenance, bridge construction and repair. Also included are lists of people liable for rates with sections numbers and rates payable.
The bank accounts were held with the National Bank, New Plymouth and over the years the Bank assisted with overdraft facilities and loan funds for projects such as 'repairing the bridge over the Mangawarawara Stream on Hill Road
Accession No
ARC2002-11

The Coat of Arms for the New Plymouth City Council 1941-1989. This is mounted onto an adhesive backing which is still intact.

The crest was first suggested in 1898 by Mr W. F. Gordon, designer of the illuminations on Government buildings in New Plymouth for Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee the previous year. He drafted a design Showing the Southern Cross (stars), a milch cow, the breakwater with shipping, a tree fern and a greenstone tiki. Mr Freeth, clerk of the court and an ardent Maori scholar, suggested a motto in Maori which means, 'The industrious heart lives, or survives; the indolent heart dies, or goes under.' The council shortened that to 'Mauri mahi mauri ora' ('The Industrious Heart Lives').

In June, 1941, the New Plymouth Borough Council decided to make changes to its civic crest. The steam auxiliary ship in the top right quarter of the emblem was to become 'a proud merchant vessel equipped with radio', while a tree fern was to be replaced with an airport scene showing Mount Egmont and the famous monoplane, the Southern Cross. The design used from 1941 until 1989 thus showed the following:
The Maori weapons shown behind the shield are:
Top right: A Ko-a digging implement sometimes used as a Weapon of war.
Lower right: A Tewhatemha - a weapon of war with quillets of split feathers attached.
Top left: A Taiaha - a weapon oi- staff of rank. Orators carry this 'taiaha' while addressing their people.
Lower left: A Hoe - a paddle.
Top right quarter: A berthed merchant vessel depicting the development of the port and importance of commerce.
Bottom right quarter: New Plymouth airport and the monoplane Southern Cross. This marks the importance of commercial aviation and associates the area with the pioneer trans - Tasman flights by Sir Charles Kingsford-Smith and Charles Ulm.
Top left quarter: A Jersey cow, representative of the dairying interests in the Taranaki province.
Bottom left quarter: A Heitiki - the Maori ornament. Hei translates as being a neck ornament and tiki is the form of man.
Accession No
ARC2002-111

The St Aubyn Town Board was involved in the maintenance of roads in the St Aubyn area of New Plymouth.
Letterbooks and accounts for the St. Aubyn Town Board. 1911 - 1915
Accession No
ARC2002-151

The records consist of three volumes, two containing official minutes and one a volume of correspondence.
Accession No
ARC2002-147

Oral history. Vera Louise Anderson (nee Uncles) was born in Palmerston North in 1958. She spent her early years in Australia and returned to New Zealand with her husband, Daryl Anderson, in 1981. Trained as a nurse, Anderson discusses her experiences working in the Hawera hospital and some of the changes that have occurred in the profession over the years.
Recorded: 23 November 1995
Interviewer: Margaret Fox
Abstraction: Mary Whiting
Restrictions: None
Accession No
ARC2005-277

Name/Title
Rosemary Mills (nee Bailey Smith) was born in Stratford in 1937 and grew up in Opunake and Hawera. In this interview, Mills recounts details of her childhood and family life. At the age of 18, Mills went to Palmerston North for nurse's training. She recounts her career as a nurse, including her time spent working in Fiji. Later in her career, Rosemary became the district nurse, covering the large area of: Mokoia, Ingahape Road, Whakamara, Main South Road, Ohawe Beach, Okaiawa, and Fraser Road. Rosemary Mills retired from the profession in 1994 at the age of 60.
Recorded: 12/10/1995
Interviewer: Margaret Fox
Abstraction: Floss Lambert
Accession No
ARC2005-265

Oral history. Jane Norgate was born in Hawera in 1965. She trained as a nurse at the New Plymouth Hospital. In this interview, she discusses rates of pay and conditions, tasks and duties. Norgate also speaks of working in the Hawera and Wanganui hospitals. She discusses her experiences in psychiatric nursing and working with anorexia patients. She also talks of her employment as a district nurse for South Taranaki.
Recorded: 28 November 1995
Interviewer: Maggie Fox
Abstraction: Mary Whiting
Restrictions: None
Accession No
ARC2005-276

Name/Title
Oral history. June Urlich (nee Schwass) was born in Hawera in 1930. She began her training as a nurse in 1947 at the age of 17. She left the profession in 1952 to get married and have a family, returning in 1968. In this interview, she discusses her training, her experiences working in the Hawera Hospital and the changes in the profession that she has seen over the years. Urlich retired from nursing in November of 1994.
Recorded: 23 January 1996
Interviewer: Margaret Fox
Abstraction: Elayne Robertson
Restrictions: None
Accession No
ARC2005-281

Name/Title
A copy of an article written by community health nurse Marian Macklin published in the U.K. magazine Professional Nurse September 1993
Article written by community health nurse Marian Macklin published in the U.K. magazine Professional Nurse September 1993
Copies of Daily News articles on the retirement and replacement of the District Nurse, Marian Macklin. 2003.
Accession No
ARC2005-238

Name/Title
Oral history. Doreen Davenport Jones (nee Pledger) was born in England in 1932. Jones completed her nurse's training in England and moved to New Zealand in 1956. In this interview, she discusses her training and work in the Hawera Hospital.
Recorded: 5 February 1996
Interviewer: Margaret Fox
Abstraction: Mary Donald
Restrictions: None
Accession No
ARC2005-280

Name/Title
Oral history. Jocelyn Brown was born in Wellington in 1945. Her first job was as a nurse at the Wellington Hospital. Brown spent 15 months and England and when she returned to New Zealand, moved first to Palmerston North and then New Plymouth. She lived in Hurworth Cottage for 2 1/2 years. The cottage was gifted to the Historic Places Trust by her father-in-law.
Recorded: 22 June 1994
Interviewer: Joy Peckham
Abstraction: Joy Peckham
Accession No
ARC2005-252

Josephine Patricia O'Dea was born in Napier in 1919. She trained as a nurse in the Wellington Hospital in 1938. In this interview, O'Dea remembers her days as a student and the details of her career. O'Dea joined the J Force in June of 1947 and went to Japan to nurse New Zealand troops. Josephine was married in 1949 and took time off from work while her children where young. She returned to the profession in 1970, working as a Plunket nurse. O'Dea retired in 1983.
Recorded: 10/10/1995
Interviewer: Margaret Fox
Abstraction: Mary Whiting/ Mary Donald
Accession No
ARC2005-268
Loading...