filters
More Options
Shortlist
  •   Add All to Shortlist
Ink and wash relief map of the Te Henui River and some districts to the east as far as Mangorei Road. Devon Street in the north, south to about the edge of Awanui Cemetary. Includes a tributary of the Henui now about the line of railway at Strandon/Waiwaka Terrace. Handwritten in black ink lower left: "Enui River / New Plymouth / New Zealand / by F.A. Carrington 1843". Also handwritten in pencil top left corner "3" within a circle.
Accession No
A93.834

Detailed map of lower Henui with Purakau Pa and the houses of Weekstown (Strandon) from the coast to Devon Street. Hand written in ink lower left: "Part of the Coast & River Enui / New Plymouth / New Zealand / by F.A. Carrington / 1843" and "Henui R" handwritten in pencil on river estuary.
Original topographical map of lower beaches and northward beach extension of Henui River with earthworks of Purakau Pa (now Baring Terrace). Part of map published as "Plan of Town and Part of the Settlement of New Plymouth, New Zealand/Selected, Surveyed and Delineated by F.A. Carrington".
Accession No
A93.828

Ink map of relief of part of New Plymouth with surveyed streets/roads and part a stream. Possibly a branch of tributory of Huatoki - south end of Cutfield Road west of "Victoria Park" on the "Plan of the Town and Part of the Settlement of New Plymouth New Zealand" by Fred A. Carrington. North is on the right. Handwritten in black ink top left corner: "E19.193".
Accession No
A93.829

Relief map showing Henui River and surrounding tributaries in present Awanui(?) - Cumberland Street area of the city. Depicts blue meandering river crossing vertically - middle left with numerous thin blue tributaries. River surrounded by vegetation - represented in black ink. Handwritten lower right corner in black ink: "Part of the River Enui / New Plymouth / New Zealand / by F.A. Carrington / 1843."
Accession No
A93.826

Ink and watercolour relief map of river and terraces with some houses along Mangorei Road. Section of Carrington's map of New Plymouth showing the Waiwakaiho River from the Devon Street crossing to about Karaka Street, New Plymouth. Handwritten in black ink lower right corner: " Part of the Waiwakaiho River / New Plymouth / New Zealand / by F.A. Carrington / 1843."
Accession No
A81.511

Ink and watercolour relief map showing streams and contours. Also with surveyed streets and roads superimposed. Nine pa sites shown including Pukeori, Oronga, Whakawhitiwhiti, Okoare, Pahakaka, Maripu, Pukiekie, Pukaka and Rungapiko. The coast and inland to devon Street from Cutfield Road west is not depicted. Handwritten in pencil upper left and centre: "New Plymouth, New Zealand / by F.A. Carrington 1843 / Scale 20 chains to an inch." Also handwritten in black ink at lower left hand side edge is the following fragmented text: " New Zealand / ...rington / ... 3".
Accession No
A93.835

Ink, watercolour and pencil relief map of Brooklands and surrounding area. Part of F.A. Carrington's map entitled "Plan of the Town and Part of the Settlement of New Plymouth". Shows Brooklands - property of Capt. King with their house and that of adjourning owner Aubrey with access from Eliot Street, streams, ponds and swamps in blue, cultivated garden in sepia with surrounding fence. Surveyed street/roads grid overlaid on relief map. Handwritten in black ink lower left corner: "Brooklands / New Plymouth, New Zealand / by F.A. Carrington 1842". Also "West No 2 (of 5)" handwritten in pencil upper right. Also a multiplication sum 25 / 18 / 200 / 25 " handwritten in ink upper middle edge.
Accession No
A93.825

Ink and watercolour relief map of lower section of Waiwakaiho River from Clemow Road to the sea. Now Peringa Park, Lake Rotomaru etc. Handwritten in black ink lower left corner: "Part of the coast and River Waiwakaiho / New Plymouth / New Zealand / by F.A. Carrington 1843." Also written is "Waiwakaiho R" handwritten in pencil upper right centre (on lower river) and "Coast" handwritten in pencil upper left. Also faint pencil inscription - probably replicating that of lower left - in upper right corner.
Accession No
A93.830

Ink and watercolour relief map showing surveyed streets, Mangaotuku stream and Kawaroa coastline. Rungapiko pa on the Mangaotuku stream (Young Street). Area between coast and Wallace Place/Dawson - Cutfield Road. Handwritten in black ink lower left corner "Part of Town / New Plymouth / New Zealand / by F.A. carrington / 1843." Also handwritten in pencil lower left above title: "Scale 6 chs to 1 inch".
Accession No
A93.831

Ink and watercolour map of swamp in tributary of Waimea Stream - Ferndale area with some fragmentary surrounding contours in pencil. Also shows Pahakaka pa sketched in pencil (on corner of Waimea / Frankley St). Surveyed roads in pencil and most of area crosshatched with pencil.
Accession No
A93.833

Ink and watercolour relief map showing stream and contours with pencilled(?) streets. Handwritten in pencil below river on left hand side edge: "MANGOATUKU".
Accession No
A93.832

Hydrographic chart of Taranaki Coast from Sugarloaf Point to Henui River showing some features on land and depths offshore. In reverse along top edge of chart is a view from sea of the same shoreline with Sugar Loaves to right and Mt Taranaki behind. Text lower left corner reads: "New Zealand / North Island / New Plymouth or Taranaki / Road / Surveyed by Captn. J.L. Stokes R.N. / 1849 / Flagstaff .... Soundings in fathoms".
Accession No
A93.973

Formed in 1868, the New Plymouth Schools Committee oversaw a number of schools including Courteney Street, Gill Street, Wesleyan, East, East Infants, West, Fitzroy and Frankley Road Schools.
The records consist of official minutes 1880-1884, a letter book 1882-1886, general correspondence 1880-1905 and misc papers which include staff appointments, truancy and absenteeism notes.Each folder has an index which contains a brief description of each item, including the names of those involved (pupils, teachers, caretakers, parents, committee members etc.).
Folder 13 contains a petition with signatures from parents, guardians etc. at West Infants School, 1900.
Folder 14 contains a petition with signatures from parents, and neighbours at Fitzroy, 1883.
Folders 24 and 25 contains receipts and tenders from local businesses, some on business letterheads.
Accession No
ARC2001-002

Glenys Thomson and Heather Savage were active parishioners of the Taranaki East Community Parish. In an oral history Glenys responds to questions about the history of the Parish and how it developed into a charismatic church. Heather joins and talks with Glenys about the situation where a charismatic church has closed and locked the church at Toko and moved to Stratford.
The interview was recorded at the time Glenys Thomas and Heather Savage deposited the Taranaki East Community Parish archives in the Puke Ariki Archive.
Accession No
ARC2001-49

Name/Title
Attributed to H. D.Mullon, this paper outlines the history of Richmond Cottage and sets out to disprove the story that Richmond Cottage was used as the first Bank of New Zealand (BNZ).
Accession No
ARC2001-95

Felix Templeton Bellringer was born in 1877, the son of James Templeton Bellringer, who was Mayor NP 1889-1893. Felix was educated at Central School NP and NP Boys High School and served several years as a law clerk. In 1900 he was admitted to the Bar - solicitor of the Supreme Court NZ. In 1901 he was elected temporary Town Clerk, later becoming Town Clerk and Borough Treasurer. In the former position he served for 50 years retiring in Feb 1952
The papers consist of reports and letters concerning his achievements as Town Clerk 1902-52, including his role in the acquisition and development of the following reserves and parks; Aotea Park, Henui Vicarage, West End School, Prison Reserve (Moturoa), New Plymouth Rugby Park, East End Bathing Reserve, Lake Mangamahoe Hydro scheme, Maranui Estate, Pukekura Park, Peringa Park, Kawaroa Park, Paritutu Centennial Park, Lynmouth Park, Waiwakaiho Park, Ngamotu Reserve, Pukewarangi, Burgess Park. In addition to the boxed material in the archive, there is a series of scrapbooks re Parks and Reserves.
Accession No
ARC2001-136

Richmond Cottage was built for C.W. Richmond in 1853. After C.W. Richmond went to Wellington in 1856, the cottage was leased to army officers during the 1860's. Various members of the Atkinson and Richmond families occupied the cottage until the 1880's when it was rented out, then sold in 1898.
Account statements for the sale of the Richmond Beach Cottage from Richmond & Hutchen, Solicitors, with additional notes from and to Anna Richmond. 1897 - 1898
Accession No
ARC2001-161

The forerunner of the Cardiff Dairy Company was the Cardiff Co-operative Butter Packing Factory, formed in 1888.
The Cardiff Dairy Company was formed in 1891 and merged with Stratford, Eltham and Normanby Dairy Companies to become the Taranaki Cooperative Dairy Company (1965).
The records include a complete run of minutes from 1890 - 1935, register of members 1891 - 1897 and the share register 1891 - 1935.
Accession No
ARC2001-190

Formed in 1895, the Mangorei Dairy Company produced butter. In 1910, the company took over Hurworth Dairy Company and installed a skim milk plant. Amalgamation with the Rotokare Dairy Company took place in 1938 and the company continued operating until 1964 when it amalgamated with Moa Farmers Co.
Contains the published director's reports and balance sheets for the years 1939-1964.
Accession No
ARC2001-193

Formed in 1895, the Mangorei Dairy Company produced butter. In 1910, the company took over Hurworth Dairy Company and installed a skim milk plant. Amalgamation with the Rotokare Dairy Company took place in 1938 and the company continued operating until 1964 when it amalgamated with Moa Farmers Co.
Contains articles of association and annual reports and balance sheets for the Mangorei Dairy Company.
Accession No
ARC2001-197

Hal Goodacre was active in local community affairs. He established the Egmont Boot and Shoe Company, was chairman of the '1904/5 Exhibition Committee and a supporter of the development of Pukekura Park. He died in the 1917 flu epidemic. Hal's wife Annie continued to live in the house until 1921 when she moved to Wanganui.
Researched and written by Des McMahon, the essay follows the history of the Goodacre family and their property called 'Whareora' postal address 151 Tukapo Street (later Tukapa Street), residential address is 149A Tukapa. It documents alterations and additions to the house and includes photographs, plans of the area, land titles etc. Also included are transcripts of interviews with Eric Laird, grandson of Hal Goodacre.
Accession No
ARC2001-216

A typescript copy of a brief history of the Moa Dairy company, author unknown.
Accession No
ARC2001-227

The Certificate in Incorporation for the Okoke Hall Society Inc dated 8th Dec 1926.
Accession No
ARC2001-297

Established in 1904, the Makahu Co-operative dairy Company produced butter until 1915 when it converted to cheese production. It went into voluntary liquidation in the early 30s and suppliers transfered to the Stratford Farmers Co-op Dairy Co.
The collection comprises two minute books for May 1912 - July 1928 and for September 1928 - April 1933, as well as a share register for 1903-1924.
Accession No
ARC2001-303

The Fire and Accident Underwriters of NZ were affiliated to the Fire Underwriters Association of NZ.
The records consist of plans and diagrams depicting buildings and structures in the central business districts of New Plymouth, Hawera, Inglewood, Waitara, Stratford and Eltham. Also included are block plans showing various freezing works in Taranaki etc.
The plans were used for insurance purposes and show the footprint of each building, often naming the business or firm.
Accession No
ARC2001-383
Loading...