filters
More Options
Shortlist
  •   Add All to Shortlist
Name/Title
A New Zealand Police cap with a silver badge on the centre front. " NZ / POLICE " is written on the badge with a crown at the top. The crown of the cap is navy blue with a black peak, navy and white chequered hatband and a plastic strap across the front. " Hills Hat Ltd. / Uniform Cap Makers / Wellington N.Z. / 7 " is written on the inside of the cap.
Accession No
A90.727

Name/Title
A white painted British "tin" helmet as it was called, which is actually made of steel. The helmet has a black leather sweatband, support, and head pad. "Police" has been painted in black across the front of the helmet.
Accession No
A97.474

Name/Title
A brass and copper military fireman's helmet. There is a midline crest depicting a relief pattern of a dragon, a short peak and longer back brim. The inside is lined with leather and there is a leather chin strap on the wearer's right side. The front is missing the fireman's badge.
Accession No
A97.480

Name/Title
A red dental cardigan which can be fastened with red buttons sewn on the right facing side.
Accession No
TM2003.140

Name/Title
A fireman's helmet make of cork and covered with a heavy canvas that has been painted in black enamel. There is a N.Z. Fire Service emblem at the centre front above a red hatband. The inside has an adjustable leather lining with snaps and a black chinstrap. The helmet is shaped with a midline crest from the brow to the back of the helmet and the brim is long and curved above the neck and has a narrow peak at the front. There is a hole at the front of the crest possibly for a plume.
Accession No
A87.200

Name/Title
A blue cotton North Taranaki District Council sweatshirt with elasticised cuffs and bottom. " NORTH TARANAKI DISTRICT COUNCIL / NTDC COUNCIL " is written in white on the right facing side of the chest A profile of a mountain in white is incorporated with the text. " " is handwritten on a small tag on the inside of the collar. " STALLION / PRINTABLES / COTTON/POLYESTER " is written on a manufacturers tag on the inside of the collar. Illegible care instructions and manufacturers details feature on the back of the tag.
Accession No
PA2008.034

Name/Title
A white painted British "tin" helmet as it was called, which is actually made of steel The helmet has a khaki-coloured chin strap, black leather sweatband, support, and head pad. "Police" has been painted in black across the front of the helmet.
Accession No
A84.766

Name/Title
A New Plymouth, New Zealand Fire Service cap made of navy blue wool with a black patent leather peak. The cap is part of a full uniform. It is a size 7 1/4, has a silver badge which reads "New Plymouth/New Zealand Fire Service" and a patent leather strap around the base of the crown. The inside label reads: "Made Expressly for I. R. Booker Ltd./Hills Caps Ltd./Wellington, NZ".
Accession No
A90.314

Name/Title
A N.Z. Police night helmet with a seam down the front and a slight point at the from of the brim. There is a hatband in blue around the outside and a leather sweatband on the inside. The helmet is covered in navy blue wool, green plastic on the inside and has a black chin strap that has been wrapped around the peak. There is a piece to cover the hole at the top of the helmet where a spike would be screwed in. The name "M. Bourke" is written on the inside. The label reads: "Mountcastle Pty. Ltd., Brisbane, Australia".
Accession No
A90.695

Name/Title
A N.Z. Police night helmet with a seam down the front and a slight point at the from of the brim. There is a hatband in blue around the outside and a leather sweatband on the inside. The helmet is covered in navy blue wool, green plastic on the inside and has a black chin strap. There is a piece to cover the hole at the top of the helmet where a spike would be screwed in. The name "Sgt. Lahmert" is written on the inside. The label reads: "Mountcastle Pty. Ltd., Brisbane, Australia".
Accession No
A90.694

Name/Title
A New Zealand Police cap. The crown is navy blue with a black peak, navy and white chequered hatband and a plastic strap across the front. "Hills Hat Ltd./Uniform Cap Makers/Wellington N.Z./ 6/ 7/8" is written on the interior.
Accession No
A90.728

Name/Title
A New Plymouth, NZ Fire Service cap. The cap is made of navy blue wool and has a peak at the front. There is a black plastic strap at the front and a leather sweatband on the inside. On the centre front there is a large cap badge made of silver-coloured metal that has a red enamelled centre. The badge depicts two crossed silver hatchets surmounted by a helmet. It reads: "New Plymouth New Zealand Fire Service". The inside label reads: "Made Expressly for I.R. Booker Ltd. by Hills Caps Inc./ Wellington/[size] 6 7/8".
Accession No
A82.897

Name/Title
Eliza Hobson was the wife of Captain William Hobson, Governor of New Zealand 1841 - 1842 This is a typescript copy of letters 1835 - 1846 from Eliza and William Hobson to various recipients, not arranged chronologically. Manuscript copies held by Alexander Turnbull Library.
Accession No
ARC2001-52

Name/Title
William Halse came to Taranaki on the ship Amelia Thompson in 1841. He was appointed Justice of the Peace and in 1848 succeeded F. D. Bell as Resident Agent for the New Zealand Company in New Plymouth. He later became Commissioner of Crown Lands.
The journal is a daily account of events, correspondence and expenditure. 1846 - 1850
Accession No
ARC2001-50

Felix Templeton Bellringer was born in 1877, the son of James Templeton Bellringer, who was Mayor NP 1889-1893. Felix was educated at Central School NP and NP Boys High School and served several years as a law clerk. In 1900 he was admitted to the Bar - solicitor of the Supreme Court NZ. In 1901 he was elected temporary Town Clerk, later becoming Town Clerk and Borough Treasurer. In the former position he served for 50 years retiring in Feb 1952
The papers consist of reports and letters concerning his achievements as Town Clerk 1902-52, including his role in the acquisition and development of the following reserves and parks; Aotea Park, Henui Vicarage, West End School, Prison Reserve (Moturoa), New Plymouth Rugby Park, East End Bathing Reserve, Lake Mangamahoe Hydro scheme, Maranui Estate, Pukekura Park, Peringa Park, Kawaroa Park, Paritutu Centennial Park, Lynmouth Park, Waiwakaiho Park, Ngamotu Reserve, Pukewarangi, Burgess Park. In addition to the boxed material in the archive, there is a series of scrapbooks re Parks and Reserves.
Accession No
ARC2001-136

Name/Title
Chilman sailed to New Zealand on the ship William Bryan in 1840 as a clerk to the New Plymouth Company.
Settling at New Plymouth he was appointed Provincial Treasurer in 1853 and in 1871 went to England to obtain capital for the development of ironsands in Taranaki. He also held the posts of Provincial Auditor and Receiver of Land Revenue. He was one of the founders of the New Plymouth Institute.
The journals recount the journey to England to investigate finance for working the ironsands.1870 - 1871
Accession No
ARC2001-139

Initially known as the New Plymouth Civic Affairs Organisation, the New Plymouth Progressive Association was active in the community every three years, prior to the local body elections; their aim being to ensure the best possible candidates stood for Council and the Hospital and Harbour Boards.
The records reflect the activities of the Association prior to the 1968 local authority elections. It includes minutes, information on public meetings, newsletters and newspaper clippings.
Accession No
ARC2001-154

A record book for the Urenui Post Office, 1930-1954. The book illustrates how the postmaster managed the routine activities of his office. It includes information on which staff were key holders, and telegram, mail and parcel statistics etc.

Urenui Post Office was opened in 1867 and was operational for approximately six months. It reopened again in 1877 and operated until June 30th 1989. For further information see Postmark Taranaki by Robin Startup and Andrew McNiven, Tarapex '86.
Accession No
ARC2001-167

The New Plymouth Aero Club was established in 1928 and proceeded to develop an air field at Bell Block. In 1934, the Airport Board was formed (constituted in 1933 under the NP Airport Act) and the new body took over the Aero Club's field. The airport was used during the World War II as a Airforce training station. In 1960, the Airport Board was dissolved and replaced with a Board giving Taranaki wide representation.
The records include two minute books 1939 - 1960 and a register of persons upon whom the freedom of the airport has been conferred, including Kingsford Smith, Ulm and Felix Bellringer.
Accession No
ARC2001-204

Name/Title
On the death of Mr H Okey, Member of Parliament for Taranaki, John Connett National Party candidate for the electorate at the By-elections in 1918.
A collection of papers comprising of newspaper clippings, circulars, promotional flyers relating to general elections.
Accession No
ARC2001-283

Typed copy of manuscript. Seventy Years of Life in New Zealand. Selections from the reminiscences of Charles Edwin Major.
There are references to politics, personalities, Maori including Parihaka and various sporting activities, in particular football, athletics, and horse racing. Entertainment is also covered in the reminiscences with mention of various celebrities such as Mark Twain, Frank Bullen and Paderewski, and the development of film making and cinema in New Zealand.
Accession No
ARC2001-277

A speech written and read by Mr Skinner at a meeting of the New Plymouth Historical Society on 10 Sept. 1945, gives a brief history of the development of postal services in Taranaki. Includes lists of early Postmasters for New Plymouth and other towns in Taranaki and the names of office-holders for various government agencies between 1872-1874.
Accession No
ARC2001-332

In 1897 a committee was formed in connection with the erecting of a Town Clock. In 1899 the Borough Council decided to finance the building of a clock tower and in 1908 the tower was erected along with the New Plymouth Post Office. The Post Office and clock tower were demolished in 1969.
The collection includes a Minute Book, 1897-1898, and correspondence, 1899-1916. Also contains a photocopy of a letter sent to the New Plymouth Borough Council from the Government Architect, Wellington. 7 Apr. 1905 and copies of a circular distributed in 1968 to save the clock from demolition.
Accession No
ARC2001-496

The Waiwakaiho Roads Board (No 12 Road District, New Plymouth) administered all roads in the Albert, Kent, Alfred, Maud and Korito Road area and was responsible for development, and maintenance.
The volume contains the minutes of the Waiwakaiho Road Board (No 12 Road District, New Plymouth) costs of road maintenance, bridge construction and repair. Also included are lists of people liable for rates with sections numbers and rates payable.
The bank accounts were held with the National Bank, New Plymouth and over the years the Bank assisted with overdraft facilities and loan funds for projects such as 'repairing the bridge over the Mangawarawara Stream on Hill Road
Accession No
ARC2002-11

The Coat of Arms for the New Plymouth City Council 1941-1989. This is mounted onto an adhesive backing which is still intact.

The crest was first suggested in 1898 by Mr W. F. Gordon, designer of the illuminations on Government buildings in New Plymouth for Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee the previous year. He drafted a design Showing the Southern Cross (stars), a milch cow, the breakwater with shipping, a tree fern and a greenstone tiki. Mr Freeth, clerk of the court and an ardent Maori scholar, suggested a motto in Maori which means, 'The industrious heart lives, or survives; the indolent heart dies, or goes under.' The council shortened that to 'Mauri mahi mauri ora' ('The Industrious Heart Lives').

In June, 1941, the New Plymouth Borough Council decided to make changes to its civic crest. The steam auxiliary ship in the top right quarter of the emblem was to become 'a proud merchant vessel equipped with radio', while a tree fern was to be replaced with an airport scene showing Mount Egmont and the famous monoplane, the Southern Cross. The design used from 1941 until 1989 thus showed the following:
The Maori weapons shown behind the shield are:
Top right: A Ko-a digging implement sometimes used as a Weapon of war.
Lower right: A Tewhatemha - a weapon of war with quillets of split feathers attached.
Top left: A Taiaha - a weapon oi- staff of rank. Orators carry this 'taiaha' while addressing their people.
Lower left: A Hoe - a paddle.
Top right quarter: A berthed merchant vessel depicting the development of the port and importance of commerce.
Bottom right quarter: New Plymouth airport and the monoplane Southern Cross. This marks the importance of commercial aviation and associates the area with the pioneer trans - Tasman flights by Sir Charles Kingsford-Smith and Charles Ulm.
Top left quarter: A Jersey cow, representative of the dairying interests in the Taranaki province.
Bottom left quarter: A Heitiki - the Maori ornament. Hei translates as being a neck ornament and tiki is the form of man.
Accession No
ARC2002-111
Loading...